Retirement in Ubon

IRetirement in Ubonf you are over the age of 50 and are looking at retirement in Thailand with its low cost of living then consider obtaining a retirement visa for Thailand also known as an O-A visa. This visa will be issued outside of the country for a period of 3 month when you enter Thailand. Once in Thailand you need to apply to have this 3 month extended for a period of 12 months. This is how the application and requirements are for the retirement visa.

When you apply for a Retirement visa for Thailand you need to ensure that you are over the age of 50 when you apply for this visa. The requirements at the Thai embassy is only that you should provide a copy of your passport and complete the form for the O-A visa.

The process is very easy. Once you obtain your visa you are allowed to stay in Thailand for a period of 90 days within that time you need to extend this visa for a period of 12 months. The process here becomes very complicated and takes about 3 weeks to complete. Over the past year the Thai government has boasted that the amount of retirement application in Thailand was at its highest in 10 years. This they say is because they have now made the extension process less complicated. These are the documents you will need for the retirement extension.


  • You need to show at least 800,000 THB in a Thai Bank account in your name;or
  • You need to show an income of 65,000THB per month; or
  • You need to show a combination of income and money in the bank;
  • You need to show on a map where you live in Thailand;
  • You need to show a criminal record clearance certificate;
  • You need to show a medical certificate;
  • You need to show that you are over the age of 50;


These are the documents which are needed for the retirement visa. If you get a month government income then you can obtain a letter from your embassy to confirm that you get a state pension and also list what the income of this pension is each month. This is what most do who use the financial requirement being a monthly income of over 65,000THB.  The medical certificate most private hospitals in Thailand know which tests are required. This is mainly to show that you do not have a transmittable illness such as HIV/AIDS or third stage Syphilis. Criminal records can be a problem if you have a DUI however you attorney will normally plead your case being that it was either when you had been young or that you do not present a danger to Thai society with your DUI. You need to take legal advice on this.

Note that once this has been completed you now cannot leave Thailand without obtaining a re-entry permit which ensures you do not invalidate your 12 month visa and you also need to report to immigration every 90 days with your current address. Note that they do fine you if you do not report every 90 days.

If you have any other questions about retirement in Ubon then speak to us online or walk into any of our offices in Thailand for more information and assistance.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *